GITAM University Ground Improvement Technique Syllabus
In-situ densification methods in granular soils – Introduction of Vibration at the ground surface, Impact at the Ground surface. Vibrofloatation technique and other techniques like dynamic replacement etc.
In-situ Densification methods in cohesive soils:- introduction, preloading, dewatering, sand drains, sand wicks, Geodrains/ band drains. Methods of dewatering systems – open sumps and ditches, well point system, deep well system, vaccum dewatering, Electo-Osmosis method.
Reinforced Earth: Principles, components of reinforced earth, factors governing design of reinforced earth walls. Geotextiles: Introduction, types of Geotextiles, Functions and their application.
Stabilization of Soils: Soil aggregate mixture, properties and proportioning techniques, soft aggregat estabilization, compaction, field compaction control. Cement, lime and bituminous stabilization.
Stone Columns: Introduction, construction practice, design principles, Case studies indicating the efficacy and importance of ground improvement Technique.
1. Robert M.Koerner: Construction and Geotechnical Methods in Foundation Engg, McGraw Hill
2. E. J. Yoder: Principles of pavement design, John Wiley and sons.
3. Leonards, G.A. Foundation Engineering.
4. Khanna S.K. and Justo C.E.G: Highway Engineering Nemchand Publications.
5. Sowers G.F.: Introductory Soil Mechanics and Foundations.
6. Hausemen: Principles of Ground improvement, Mcgraw Hill Publishing Co., New Delhi, 1999
7. Dr. P. Purushothama Raj: Ground Improvement Techniques, Laxmi Publication (P) Ltd, New Delhi, 1999.