GITAM University Environmental Engineering II Syllabus
Introduction – Sanitation – Systems of sanitation – relative merits & demerits – collection and conveyance of waste water.
Sewerage –classification of sewerage systems – sewers – types of sewers – Quantity of sewage – fluctuations – Hydraulics of sewers – design of sewers – materials for sewers – appurtenances in sewerage systems – safety of sewer workers. Design: Pumping of waste water – Pumping stations – location – component parts.
Bacteriology of sewage: Characteristics of sewage – decomposition – cycles of decomposition – sampling and analysis of waste water – BOD – COD.
Waste water treatment : Primary treatment- Screens-grit chambers – grease traps – floatation –
sedimentation – design of primary and pretreatment units -Design of Septic Tank, Imhoff tank
.-Sludge digestion and disposal, Secondary treatment : Sewage filters – Classification – trickling filters – mechanism of impurities removal – filter problems – design operation – recirculation-Activated sludge process – principles and designs – modifications of activated sludge process . Design Sludge treatment and disposal : Characteristics of sludge thickening – digestion – drying – sludge Miscellaneous methods – Oxidation ponds, oxidation ditches – aerated lagoons,– Stabilization ponds ,disposal.-Sewer Less sanitation practices, Different kinds of privies.
Sanitary Installations : Sanitary fittings, plumbing systems of drainage – single stack system – one pipe and two pipe systems – Design of building drainage, Maintenance of Sanitary Installations Sewage disposal: meaning, objectives and methods –disposal by dilution-self purification of running streams-zones of pollution-disposal by irrigation-reuse of treated sewage-ground water recharge.
1. G.S.Birde & J.S.Birde, Water supply and Sanitary Engineering, Dhanpat Rai & Sons.
2. S.K.Garg, Water & Waste water Engineering- Vol II, S.K.Garg, Khanna Publishers.
3. Dr. P.N. Modi., Sewage treatment and disposal, Standard Book House.
4. G.S.Birde & J.S.Birde, Water supply and Sanitary Engineering, Dhanpat Rai & Sons.
5. Duggal, Water supply and Sanitary Engineering, S.Chand & Company (Pvt) Ltd.
6. Dr.B.S.N. Raju., Water supply and Waste Water Engineering, TaTa Mc.Graw Hill.
7. Metcalf & Eddy, Waste Water Treatment, disposal and Reuse, TaTa Mc.Graw Hill, Tenth Reprint 1990, 2nd edition.
8. Hammer and Hammer Jr, Water and Wastewater Technology, Prentice Hall India,4th edition, 03.
9. Fair / Geyre / okun, Water & Waste water Engineering -Voulme-2, Wiley Toppan.