GITAM University Engineering Mechanics Statistics and Dynamics
Equilibrium: Free body diagram – Equilibrium of rigid bodies a
cted on by concurrent and nonconcurrent
coplanar system of forces. Analysis of Truss – Method of joints.
Centroids and Centres of Gravity: Centre of gravity of parallel forces in a plane. Centroids and
centre of gravity of composite areas and composite bodies – Distributed Loads on Beams.
Moments of Inertia: Definition – Moments of inertia of areas by integrations. Radius of gyration –
Parallel axis theorem– Perpendicular axis theorem – Moments of inertia of composite areas –– Mass
moment of inertia of simple bodies like disc, cylinder, rod, hoop, sphere.
Kinematics : Introduction – Recapitulation of basic terminology and concepts of Kinematics.
Newton’s Laws of motion. Absolute Motion and Relative motion. Rectilinear motion of a particle.
Curvilinear motion of a particle – Projectiles – simple problems.
Kinetics : Introduction to Kinetics – Newton’s Laws of motion – Work , Energy – Potential energy
and Kinetic energy – Law of Conservation of energy – D’ Alembert’s principle. Work-Energy
Principle. Simple Applications of above principles to Rectilinear and Curvilinear motion of a rigid
1. Timoshenko and D.H. Young, Engineering Mechanics, McGraw Hill, Fourth edition
2. Engineering Mechanics by Singer, Prentice Hall India.
3. J.L. Meriam John Wiley & Sons, Engineering Mechanics
4. F.B. Beer and E.R. Johnston, Jr., Vector, Mechanics for Engineers Statics and Dynamics,
Tata McGraw Hill, Fourth edition, 2002
5. I.B. Prasad, Applied Mechanics, Khanna Publishers, Delhi, Tenth edition 1984
6. A.K.Tayal, Engineering Mechanics