GITAM University Design of Foundations for Dynamic Loading
Elements of Soil Dynamics: Free and forced vibrations with and without damping for single
degree of freedom, natural frequency of foundation soil system – Barken, pressure bulb concept,
Wave Propagation: Waves in elastic half space, Elements of seismic methods, steady state
Elastic Properties of Soil: Field and Laboratory methods, stress strain characteristics of soil under
dynamic loads, damping properties.
Bearing capacity of soil : Under dynamic loads by pseudo static analysis and vibration Isolation.
Liquefaction: Mechanism, Laboratory methods, Evaluation of liquefaction in the field, factors
affecting liquefaction, Anti liquefaction measures, earthquake zones.
1. Swami Saran, Soil Dynamics & Machine Foundations
2. Shamsher Prakash, Soil Dynamics, 2nd Impression, 1964.
3. Srinivasulu. P. and Vydyanathan, Hand Book of Machine Foundations
4. Jumkies, Foundation Dynamics
6. Barken, Dynamics of Bases and foundations.
7. Richart, Vibration of Soil and Foundation
8. Relevant IS Codes.
9. Nayak, N.V., Foundations Design Mamual, Dhanpat Raj & Sons, 3rd edition, 1985