GITAM University Building Planning and Drawing Syllabus
UNIT – I :
Residential Buildings : Different types of Residential Buildings, Selection of site for residential
buildings. Guidelines for planning and drawing of residential building.
UNIT – II:
Orientation of Buildings, Principles of Planning, Design of Individual rooms with particulars
attention to functional and furniture requirements.
General Building regulations and Bye laws for Residential Buildings.
UNIT– IV: Climatology: Elements of climate: Sun, Wind, Relative Humidity, Temperature.
Mahoney Tables, Comfort conditions for house. Various types of Macroclimatic zones, Design of
Houses and layouts with reference to climatic zones. Solar charts. Wind Roses, Ventilation
Anthropometric Data. Housing colonies for different income groups in India – sizes of Plots –
Public spaces. Evolutionary housing concept.
Drawing: At least Ten sheets shall be drawn during the semester manually using mini- drafter or set
Conventional signs of materials, various equipment used in a Residential Building (copying
exercise) Plan, Sectional Elevation ,Front Elevation and site plan for the following.
A Small House (One Room and Verandah) (Copying exercise).
(4) (5) (6) Three bed roomed House in HOT and ARID zone, Hot and humid zone & Cold zone
7) Duplex Type House.
8) Flats/Apartments (copying exercise) Not included. in examination.
9) (10) Houses with given Functional requirements and climatic data. Emphasis may be given to
Hot and HUMID.
1. O.H. Koinesberger, Mannual of tropical housing and building climatic design part-1
2. Deshpande, Modern ideal home for India, Deshpande Publications, 10th edition, December
3. Y.N.Sane, Planning and designing, Allies Book Stall, Pune
4. Gurucharn Singh, Planning Designing & Sheduling, Standard Publishers Distributors, 5th
edition, Reprint 2004.
5. Dr.B.P.Verma, Civil Engineering Drawing & Housing, Khanna Publishers, Delhi6. Civil Engg.
Drawing-‘B’ Series by Trimurthy, Premier Publishing House, Hyderabad.