CUSAT PREVIOUS YEARS QUESTION PAPERS
B TECH FIRST YEAR EXAMINATION JUNE 2008
1. a) How will you test the optical planeness of a glass plate?
b) Calculate the thickness of a retardation plate, that can convert a PPL into CPL.
Given wavelength =589nm, refractive indices for extraordinary rays = 1.55,
refractive indices for ordinary rays = 1.54.
c) Briefly explain the principle of holography.
d) List any 5 applications of ultrasonic waves.
e) Using Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, prove that no electron is residing inside
f) What are thermonuclear reactions?
g) Explain the terms : Lattice Planes & Miller Indices
h) What is meant by double refraction?
2. a) Discuss the theory of interference in thin films.
b) Give differences b/w Interference & Diffraction.
3. a) Explain the construction & working of a Nicol Prism.
b) What are half shades? Briefly explain the working of Lorantz half shade.
4. a) Explain the terms 1) Optical Pumping 2) Stimulated emission
b) Outline the principle & working of the He-Ne Laser.
5. a) Derive the expression for Numerical Aperture of an optical fibre.
b) Explain the working of an optical fibre communication system.
6. a) What is a wave function? Give its physical significance.
b) Derive time independent Schrodinger equation.
7. a) Explain the working of a Nuclear reactor.
b) State Pauli’s exclusion principle.
8. a) State & explain Bragg’s law.
b) Give the classification of semiconductors with their applications.
9. a) What is Meissner effect?
b) Distinguish b/w type I & type II superconductors with eg.