CUSAT Previous Question Papers BE CE 6th Semester Water Resources and Irrigation Engineering April 2011
CUSAT Previous Question Papers BE CE 6th Semester
Water Resources and Irrigation Engineering April 2011
CE 603 A/B WATER RESOURCES AND IRRIGATION ENGINEERING
1. (a) Explain cyclonic precipitation.
(b) Define unit Hydrography. What are the assumptions made? What are the advantages of unit Hydrography?
(c) The following data gives rainfall for 5 stations. Determine optimum number of ran gauges, if the error is limited to 10% :
Station – A B C D E
Rainfall (mm) – 88 104 138 78 56
2. (a) Draw a neat diagram of flood hydrograph and mark Rising limb, Peak, Inflexion font and Recession limb.
(b) Ordinates of 3 HR unit hydrograph are given below. Derive the ordinates of 6 HROH :
3. (a) Explain the method of determining the coefficient of transmissibity of a confined aquifer by pumping out test. How can this method be extended for unconfined aquifer?
(b) Describe with the help of sketches, some of the common types of strainers used in tube wells.
4. (a) Write short notes on the following :
(i) well loss (ii) specific gravity of well
(iii) spherical flow in well (iv) interference among wells
(b) State and discuss assumptions and limitations of Dupuit’s theory.
5. (a) What do you understand by duty of canal water and what is its importance? Explain how does duty differs from that at a head of water course and that at head of canal bringing water to the water course.
(b) Write a note on reservoir sedimentation.
6. (a) Explain Khosla’s method of independent variables. How do you apply corrections for (i) thickness of flow (ii) inclination of floor (iii) interference of piles.
(b) Discuss in brief various causes of failure of weirs and their remedies.
|Ordinates of 3 HR OH cumecs||0||1.5||5.6||9.2||15.0||10.5||5.6||2.3||1.2|
7. (a) Sketch out sections of earth dam to suit various conditions of available material and existing foundation conditions.
(b) Discuss in brief various modes of failure of a gravity dam.
8. (a) Explain with a sketch, the component parts and their functions of a rock fill dam.
b) What is a buttress dam? Describe the functions of its component parts.
(c) Give a practical profile of a low gravity dam.
9. (a) What do you understand by ‘priming’ and ‘depriving’? Describe various devices used for early priming in saddle siphon spillway.
(b) Compare Lacey’s theory with Kennedy’s theory for the design of unlined canals.
10. (a) Design an irrigation channel in alluvial soil from the following data, using Lacey’s theory:
Discharge = 15 cubic metes / second
Lacey’s silt factor = 1
Side slopes =0.5:1
(b) Discuss various methods used for energy dissipation below spillways.