BE (1st Semester)
Examination – 2005
1. (a) What are the disadvantages of scale formation to boilers.
(b) Name four Sludge forming Salts.
(c) What can be the main possible types of alkalinity in water?
(d) How corrosion in a boiler? Discuss the methods for its prevention?
(e) What are the principles of internal conditioning of boiler feed water? Describe calogon conditioning ?
2. (a) Why even dissolved in traces MgCl2 is dangerous for boilers?
(b) What do you mean by internal treatment?
(c) Calculate the amount of lime (84% pure) and soda (92% pure) required for treatment of 20,000 liters of water which when analysed gave following results.
Ca(HCO3)2 = ppm, Mg(HCO3)2 = 36.3 ppm,
CaCl2 =27.75ppm and NaCl= ppm.
Molecular mass of above salts are -162, 146, 120, 136, 111 and 58 respectively.
3. (a) What is Zeolite?
(b) What is delonised or demineralised water? What is hardness of such water prepared high pressure boilers?
(c) Write a short note on any one of the following:
(i) Priming and Foaming
(ii) Phosphate conditioning
4. (a) Define ‘Knocking’ and ‘Octane number of gasoline’.
(b) Name the factors assessed in proximate and ultimate analysis of coal.
(c) What is the important of analysis of flue gases?
5. (a) Write short notes on any two of the following:
(i) Difference in low and high temperature carbonization of coal.
(ii) Diesel engine fuels.
(iii) Advantage of liquid fuels over solid fuels.
6. (a) 0.72 gram of a fuel containing 80% carbon, when burnt in a Bomb calorimeter, increased the temperature of water from 27.3° to 29.1°C. if the calorimeter contains 250 gms. of water and its water equivalent is 150 gms. Calculate the HCV of the fuel. Give your answer in Kj/Kg.
(b) Give an account of recovery by-products of Otto-Hoffman’s oven.
7. (a) Describe electrochemical corrosion of iron in neutral medium.
Explain wet mechanism of corrosion of iron in neutral condition with diagram only.
(b) What is battery?
(c) What is cell voltage?
8. (a) Define corrosion.
(b) Explain water line with well labeled diagram.
(c) What is fuel cell
9. (a) Write short notes on any one of the following:
(i) Pitting Corrosion
(ii) Stress corrosion.
(b) What is recharging battery?
10. (a) What are the functions of lubricant?
(b) Give average compound composition of Portland cement along with their setting time. Give characteristics of important constituents.
11. (a) Give ISI Specification of Portland cement.
(b) Write short note on poly-vinyl chloride.
12. (a) What are the raw materials for Nylon 6:6?
(b) Explain with reason the role of Gypsum in Portland cement.
(c) Give difference between thermoseing thermoplastic resin.
13. (a) Write short notes on preparation, properties and of normal super phosphate and Acrylonitrile.
(b) What are the characteristics of an explosive?
(c) What is rocket propellant?
(d) What is RDX(chemically)?
14. (a) Write short notes on Ammonium nitrate and cellul aceate.
(b) Give classification of explosives along with the characteristics.
(c) What is monopropellant? Give an example.
(d) Give uses of explosive.
15. (a) Write a method of preparation, properties and ammonium sulphate.
(b) Write a note on carbon tetrachloride.
(c) Why ethanol is added to chloroform?
(d) Give important characteristics of a good propellant.
(e) Detoators are used in conjunction with high explosives. Why?