CSVTU BE VIII Semester ET&T VLSI Design Syllabus
Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University, Bhilai
Semester: VIII Branch: Electronics & Telecommunication
Subject: VLSI Design
Total Theory Periods: 40 Total Tutorial Periods: 12
Total Marks in End Semester Examination: 80
Minimum number of Class tests to be conducted: Two
UNIT – I
Introduction to Integrated Circuits:
SSI, MSI and LSI. VLSI Design flow, Design hierarchy concept of regularity,
Modularity and Locality, VLSI design styles with FPGA and CPLD.
UNIT – II
Standard cell based design, Basic steps of fabrication process of PMOS, CMOS and Bi-CMOS, layout
design rules, CMOS lay out design rules, Lay out of CMOS inverter, NAND Gate, NOR Gate, Full Adder, Calculation of
resistance and capacitance.
UNIT – III
Lay Out Design:
Lay out design of RAM, ROM, PLA Decoder, MUX, 4-bit Adder, Comparator, Combinational and
UNIT – IV
Combinational Logic Design:
Introduction to VHDL and Verilog, Introduction to CAD Tools, Power dissipation in Lgic
gates entity, Signal Architecture, Configuration and Definition, Operators, Data Types, Generic, Generate loops, Data
flow, Structural and behavioral programming, process, Procedure, Component in VHDL and Verilog, Libraries, Case
UNIT – V
Sequential Logic Design:
Sequential design by VHDL and Verilog FSM, Bus structure in VHDL, Test bench Synthesis,
Operator overloading, Blocks, Delays, Verifications..
Recommended books :
1. Modern VLSI Design by Wolf, Pearson Education Pub.
2. VHDL Programming by Perry, TMH Pub.
1. CMOS VLSI Design: A Circuits and Systems Perspective by Weste, Pearson Ecuation Pub.
2. Verilog HDL by Palntikar, Pearson Education Pub.
3. Basic VLSI Design by Pucknell & Esharghian, 3
Ed., PHI Pub.
4. Modern VLSI Design – System-on-chip Design, Wolf, PHI pub.
5. Fundamentals of Digital Logic with VERILOG Design, Brown, TMH Pub.