CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (C.G.)
Semester: VII Branch: Information Technology.
Subject: Natural Language Processing
Total Theory Periods: 50 Total Tutorial Periods: Nil
Total Marks in End Semester Exam: 80.
Minimum number of class tests to be conducted: 02
Unit -I INTRODUCTION & SYNTACTIC PROCESSING
The study of Language, Linguistic background, Grammars and Parsing, Features and Augmented
Grammars, Grammars for Natural Language, Towards Efficient Parsing, Ambiguity Resolution.
Unit -II SEMANTIC INTERPRETATION
Semantics and Logical Form, Linking Syntax and Semantics, Ambiguity Resolution, Strategies for
Semantic Interpretation, Scoping and the Interpretation of Noun Phrases.
Unit -III PRAGMATICS
Discourse: Reference Resolution, Syntactic and Semantic Coreference, Text Coherence, An Inference
based resolution algorithm. Dialogue and Conversational Agents: What makes dialogue different?
Dialogue structure and coherence.
Unit –IV NATURAL LANGUAGE GENERATION
Introduction to language generation, an architecture for generation, surface realization, systemic
grammar, functional unification grammar, discourse planning.
Unit -V MACHINE TRANSLATION
Language Similarities and Differences, transfer metaphor, syntactic transformations, lexical transfer, idea
of Interlingua, direct translation, using Statistical Techniques
1. Speech and Language Processing, by Jurafsky, D. & Martin, J.H.
2. Natural Language Understanding (2nd ed.), Allen, J
1. Foundations of General Linguistics (2nd ed.) by Atkinson, M, Kilby, D A & Roca, I
2. An Introduction to Language (5th ed.), Fromkin, V & Rodman, R
3. Natural Language Processing for Prolog Programmers, by Covington, M A
4. Natural language processing in Prolog: an introduction to computational linguistics, By Gazdar, G
& Mellish, C