CSVTU BE VII Semester EEE Power System Protection & Switch Gear Syllabus
Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University, Bhilai (C.G.)
Semester: B.E. VII Sem. Branch: Electrical & Electronics Engg.
Subject: Power System Protection & Switch Gear
Total Theory Periods: 50 Total Tutorial Periods: 12
Total Marks in End SEM Exam: 80
Minimum number of Class tests to be conducted: Two
– Protective relays
: trip circuit & circuit Breaker, Current transformer & protection, instantaneous
over current relay, I.D.M.T. Relay, Differential relay, Directional relay, Generalized torque expression,
impedance relay, reactance relay, mho relay.
a) Generator protection
– Differential protection of stator, inter turn fault protection, protection against
unbalance loading, protection of rotor against ground fault, protection against field failure, protection
against failure of prime mover, field suppression in alternators.
b) Transformer protection
– difficulties in differential protection, mode of C.T. connection for differential
protection of three phase transformer, protection against magnetizing inrush current, core balance earth
c)Bus bar protection
– Differential protection, frame leakage protection.
– protection of ring main feeder, protection of parallel feeders.
b) Transmission line protect
ion-Over current protection of lines, Three step distance protection, effect of
power swings on distance relay, Directional comparison carrier current protection, phase comparison
carrier current protection, carrier aided distance protection.
– Static relays
– amplitude & phase comparators, duality between amplitude & phase comparators,
circulating current amplitude comparators, coincidence type phase comparator, block spike phase
comparator, integrating phase comparator, Hall effect sine phase comparator, Design of directional relay,
reactance relay, mho relay, impedance relay, quadrilateral characteristics relay using cosine phase
comparator and amplitude comparator.
Unit-5 Circuit Breakers
– Initiation of Arc, High resistance arc interruption, current zero arc interruption,
Recovery voltage, Factor affecting recovery voltage, Restriking voltage, rate of rise of restriking voltage,
Breaking of capacitive current, current chopping, Resistance switching, Circuit Breaker rating, Circuit
Breaker testing, Minimum oil circuit breaker, Air Blast circuit Breaker, SF-6 Circuit Breaker.
1. Power System Protection & Switch Gear By B. Ram (T.M.H. publication).
2. Power System Protection & Switch Gear By B. Ravindranth ,M.Chander (New Age International)
1. Electric Power System By C.L. Wadhwa ( 4
Ed New Age International
2. Power System Engg. BY A. Chakrabarti, M.L. Soni,P.V.Gupta, V.S