Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University, Bhilai
Semester: B.E. VIII Sem. Branch: Mechanical Engg.
Subject: Vibration & Noise Control
Total Theory Periods: 50 Total Tutorial Period : 12
Total Marks in End Semester Exam: 80
Minimum number of class tests to be conducted: 2
Fundamentals of vibrations:
Simple harmonic motion, combination of two simple harmonic motions, beats, Fourier analysis
Single degree of freedom system:
Free un-damped vibrations: Equivalent systems linear and torsional, natural frequency estimation,
Damping models, structural, coulomb, and viscous dampings, critically, under and over-damped
system, logarithmic decrement
Harmonic excitation, support motion, vibration isolation, critical speeds of shafts in bending
Two degree of freedom system:
Free vibrations of spring coupled system, general solution, torsional vibrations, two degree of freedom
mass coupled system, bending vibrations in two degree of freedom system, forced vibrations of an undamped
two degree of freedom system, dynamic vibration absorber, forced damped vibrations
Multi-degree of freedom system:
Free un-damped analysis.
Dunkerley’s, Rayleigh, Holzer methods.
Experimental methods in vibration analysis:
Vibration measurement devices and analysers, balancing of rigid rotors
Analysis and measurement of sound:
One dimensional waves in a gas, sound perception and the decibel scale, the ear, combining sound
levels in decibels, octave bands, loudness, weightings, directionality of acoustic sources and receivers,
Noise criteria, sound absorption and insulation, noise barriers, acoustic enclosures, silencers
1. Mechanical Vibrations – W.T. Thomson W.T.- Prentice Hill India
2. Theory & Practice of Mechanical Vibrations – J.S. Rao, Gupta – New Age International.
1. Mechanical Vibrations – G.K. Grover – S. Chand & CO.
2. Acoustics for Engineers – Turner & Pretlove – Macmillan
3. Acoustics and Noise Control – Smith, Peters & Owen – Addison-Wesley-Longman, 2nd Edition
4. Industrial Noise Control: Fundamentals and Applications – Bell and Bell, Marcel-Dekker