CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (C.G.)
Semester: VII Branch: Computer Science & Engg.
Subject: Natural Language Processing
Introduction & Syntactic processing
The study of Language, Linguistic background, Grammars and Parsing, Features and
Augmented Grammars, Grammars for Natural Language, Towards Efficient Parsing,
Semantics and Logical Form, Linking Syntax and Semantics, Ambiguity Resolution, Strategies
for Semantic Interpretation, Scoping and the Interpretation of Noun Phrases.
Discourse: Reference Resolution, Syntactic and Semantic Coherence, Text Coherence, An
Inference based resolution algorithm. Dialogue and Conversational Agents: What makes
dialogue different? Dialogue structure and coherence.
Natural language Generation
Introduction to language generation, an architecture for generation, surface realization,
systemic grammar, functional unification grammar, discourse planning.
Language Similarities and Differences, transfer metaphor, syntactic transformations, lexical
transfer, idea of interlingua, direct translation, using statistical Techniques
Name of Text Books:
1. Speech and Language Processing, by Jurafsky, D. & Martin, J.H.
2. Natural Language Understanding (2nd ed.), Allen, J
Name of Reference Books:
1. Foundations of General Linguistics (2nd ed.) by Atkinson, M, Kilby, D A & Roca, I
2. An Introduction to Language (5th ed.), Fromkin, V & Rodman, R
3. Natural Language Processing for Prolog Programmers, by Covington, M A
4. Natural language processing in Prolog: an introduction to computational linguistics, By
Gazdar, G & Mellish, C