Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University, Bhilai
Semester: 7th Branch: Civil Engineering
Subject: Environmental Engineering-II Code: 320713 (20)
Sewage and Sewarage, definitions and some common terms, object of sewage disposal. System of sanitation: Conservancy systems, Water system, sewage system-combined, separate and partially separate, patterns of collection system. Amount of sewage-Estimation of domestic and storm sewage, variations in the quantity of sewage, Design of sewers (Only circular sewer) Manholes, Pumping stations, Wet well capacity.
Characteristics of sewage-physical, chemical and biological characteristics, fundamentals of aerobic & anaerobic process. Sewage treatment-preliminary treatment systems, Racks and screens, comminuters, Grit chambers. Primary treatment systems-Plain sedimentation, detention time and over-flow rates, types of inlets and outlets, onsite wastewater treatement- septic tank, Imhoff tank, oxidation pond .
Secondary treatment systems-(i) Attached growth process-Trickling filters, standard and high rates, efficiency (NRC) formula, operational problems of trickling filters (ii) Suspended growth process, principle of suspended growth process, Activated sludge process, Oxidation ditch aeration and mixing techniques, Operational problems of activated sludge systems, stablisation tools aerobic, anaerobic and facultative lagoon.
Sewage sludge treatment-Importance, amount and characteristics of sludge, sludge digestion, Anaerobic digestion, erobic digestion, sludge drying beds. Sewage disposal: disposal by dilution, self purification of polluted streams, factors affecting self purification, Sag curve, disposal on land surfaces. Stream standards, Effluent standards, theories of waste treatment (Volume reduction, strength reduction, new Equalization and proportioning) Summery of Industrial waste, its origin, character and treatment.
Solid waste management, source and characteristics, environmental and health implications, refuse characteristics, collection methods, disposal of solid waste by land filling, composting and incineration methods. Collection and disposal of refuse, Composting of refuse.
Name of Text Books:
1. Environmental Engineering – Peavy & Rowe (Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi).
2. Waster Water Engineering – S.K. Garg (Khanna Publication).
3. Waste Water Engineering – B.C. Punmia (Laxmi Publication, New Delhi)
Name of Reference Books:
1. Environmental Science and Engineering – Henry and Heinke (Pearson Education).
2. Waste Water Engineering – Metcalf Eddy (Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi).
3. Introduction to Environmental Science – Y Anjaneyulu (B S Publications).
4. Environmental Science and Engineering – henry and heinke (Pearson Education).
5. Waste Water Engineering – Metcalt Eddy (Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi)