CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (C G)
Semester: VI Branch: Mechanical Engg.
Subject: Energy Conversion Systems
UNIT – I
Types of jet engines, Ram Jet, pulse jet, Turbojet, Turbo propulsion, principle and operation. Energy flow through
jet and variation of pressure and temperature, thrust equation, specific thrust and velocity of fluid.
Thermodynamics of turbojet, efficiency & performance, parameters affecting performance, after burn, Injection of
water & alcohol mixture.
UNIT – II
Basic theory, Physics equations, classifications, types of rocket engines, liquid propellant rockets, efficiency and
performance, orbital & escape velocity application of space flight.
UNIT – III
Non-Conventional Energy Conversion
Classical sources of energy crisis and search for alternative sources of energy. Solar energy, earth sun angles,
resolution, solar measurement, collection of solar energy, flat plate and focusing collector analysis, calculations and
same design parameters. Applications of solar energy.
Introduction to Photovoltaic cell energy conversion techniques.
UNIT – IV
Gasifiers, Gobar Gas plant, types of applications, Biomass conversion technologies, biogas Generation.
Basic principles of wind energy conversion, wind energy estimation, site selection consideration, basic components
of wind energy conversion system, classification, advantages & disadvantages of WECS.
UNIT – V
Additional Alternate Energy Sources & Improved Energy Utilization
Fuels cell technology, wave energy conversion, tidal energy conversion, OTEC.
Principle of MHD power system, types of MHD system, advantages, materials for MHD system.
Geothermal energy, nature of geothermal fields, Geothermal sources, prime movers for geothermal energy,
advantages, disadvantages of Geothermal energy over other energy forms, its application.
High pressure boiler
Modification in Boiler, High Pressure Steam generators – La-Mont, Benson, Velox and Schmidt Hartmann Boilers.
1. Fundamentals of Compressible Flow with Aircraft and Rocket Propulsion – S.M. Yahya – New Age International
2. Gas Dynamics & Space Propulsion – N. Shanmugam, M. Palani – Anuradha Agencies
3. Non-Conventional Energy Sources – G.D. Rai – Khanna Publishers
1. Fundamental of Compressible Fluid Dynamics – P. Balachandran – PHI
2. Gas Turbine Theory & Jet Propulsion – J.K. Jain – Khanna Publishers
3. Solar Energy – Garg & Prakash – TMH Pub.
4. Non Conventional Energy Sources – D.S. Chauhan – New Age International Pub.
5. Solar Energy, R Sukhatme,