CSVTU B.E. VI Semester Mechanical Engineering Machine Tool Technology Syllabus
CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (C G)
Semester: VI th Branch: Mechanical Engg.
Subject: Machine Tool Technology
UNIT – I
Cutting Tool –
types, requirements, specification & application
Geometry of Single Point Cutting Tool –
tool angle, Tool angle specification system, ASA, ORS and NRS and
Mechanics of Metal Cutting
Theories of metal cutting, Chip formation, types of chips, chip breakers, Orthogonal and Oblique cutting, stress and
strain in the chip, velocity relations, power and energy requirement in metal cutting.
UNIT – II
Concept and evaluation of Machinability, Mechanism of Tool failure, Tool wear mechanism, Tool life, Tool life
equation, Machinability index, factors affecting machinability.
Thermal Aspects in Machining and Cutting Fluid
Source of heat in metal cutting and its distributions, temp measurement in metal cutting, function of cutting fluid,
types of cutting fluid.
UNIT – III
Design of Machine Tool Element
Design of Lathe bed, Material and construction feature, various bed section, analysis of force under headstock, tail
stock and saddle, torque analysis of lathe bed, bending of lathe bed, designing for torsional rigidity, use of
reinforcing stiffener in lathe bed.
Design of Guide ways, Material and construction features, over turning diagram, Antifriction guide ways.
UNIT – IV
Design of Speed Gear Box
Drives in Machine Tool, classification, selecting maximum and minimum cutting speeds, speed loss, kinematic
advantage of Geometric progression, kinematic diagrams, design of Gear Box of 6,9,12 and 18 speed.
UNIT – V
Design of Feed Gear Box
Elements of feed gear box, classification-Norton drive, draw key drive, Meander’s drive, Design of feed gear box for
longitudinal and cross feed and for thread cutting.
Machine Tool Installation and Maintenance
Machine Tool installation, Machine Tool Maintenance, lubrication, reconditioning of machine tool.
Machine Tool Testing
Testing, Geometrical checks, measuring equipment for testing, acceptance test for Lathe and Radial drilling
1. Machine Tool Engineering – G.R. Nagpal – Khanna Publishers, New Delhi
2. Fundamentals of Metal Cutting & Machine Tool – B.L. Juneja, G.S. Sekhan, Nitin Sethi – New Age Publishers – New Delhi
1. Production Engineering – P. C. Sharma – S. Chand & Company – New Delhi
2. Production Technology – R.K. Jain – Khanna Publisher – New Delhi
3. Principle of Metal Cutting – G.C. Sen, A. Bhattacharya – New Central Book Agency (P) Ltd., Calcutta
4. Machine Tool Practices – Kibbe Richard R – PHI, New Delhi
5. Principles of Machine Tool – G.C. Sen, A. Bhattacharya – New Central Book Agency, Calcutta