CSVTU B.E. VI Semester Mechanical Engineering Engineering Economics Syllabus
CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (C G)
Semester: B.E. VI Sem. Branch: Mechanical Engg.
Subject: Engineering Economics
Introduction & Scope
Engineers and Economics, Utility of its study, Managerial Economics, Nature and scope, basic terms and concept
of economics like goods, kinds of goods, utility, value and wealth.
Theory of Demand and supply , Elasticity of demand.
Meaning, Characteristics, Objectives of Firm, Managerial and behavioral theories of a firm.
UNIT – II
Pricing and Market Competition
Industrial Establishments, various types of industrial establishments, Sole traders, partnership, joint stock company,
types of shares, financial goals of organization.
Pricing Perspective approach: Pricing policy and price influencing factors, Basic data for price fixation.
Market forms & Competition – Pure and perfect competition, monopoly, monopolistic competition, price
determination under perfect and monopolistic competition.
UNIT – III
Economy, Monetary & Fiscal Policy
Balance of payments – money and monetary policy, fiscal policy, Inflation, measuring employment and
unemployment. Credit policies
Concept and measurement of national income.
Working Capital, Factors deciding Working capital, Return on investment, Financial Planning.
UNIT – IV
Cost and Costing Factors
Cost Analysis – Types and Elements of cost, cost planning and control.
Relationship between Average cost & Marginal cost, Short run and long run average cost curves.
UNIT – V
Depreciation & Capital Budgeting
Depreciation and its methods of calculation, marginal costing, break – even analysis, profit planning and
forecasting, Capital budgeting, cost of capital, Appraising projects profitability.
1. Managerial Economics – P.L. Mehta – S. Chand and sons
2. Economics Michael Parkin, Addison Wesley Longman Publication, International Edition.
3. Elementary Economics Theory – K.K. Dewett – S. Chand & Company
1. Economics – Samuelson, Pauls & W.D. Nordhan – McGraw Hill
2. Advanced Cost Accounting – Nigam, Sharma – Himalaya Publishing House
3. Managerial Economics – Mote and Paul – TMH
4. Macro Economics for management Students – A. Nag – Macmillan India Ltd
5. Cost Accounting – Jain & Narang – Kalyan Publishers
6. Managerial Economics – G.S. Gupta – TMH
7. Engineering Economics – J.L. Riggs, D.D. Bedforth , Randhawa – TMH
8. Essentials of Managerial Economics – Reddy & Ganesh – Himalaya Publishing Hosue
9. Managerial Economics – Joel Dean – PHI