CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (C G)
Subject: Manufacturing Science – II
UNIT – I
Principle, types, tools and fixture of forging, forging dies, forging machines, forging design, drop forging die design,
upset forging die design, forging practice and process capability, forging defects, Inspection and testing of forged
Principle, extrusion processes, process parameters, extrusion equipment, extrusion defects.
UNIT – II
Principle, classification of rolled products, types of rolling, rolling mill train components, roll pass design for
Wire drawing, tube drawing: Principle, setup, type, process capability.
UNIT – III
Types of presses, selection of press, components of a simple press, press working operations – shear, bending,
drawing etc., types of dies, die sets, considerations in die design, scrap strip layout.
Jigs & Fixtures
Degree of freedom, principles of location and clamping, locating, clamping and indexing devices, principles of
design, design of simple jigs and fixtures.
UNIT – IV
Processes, machines, design consideration for grinding, specification of grinding wheel, process parameters,
economics of grinding.
Principle of gear generations, principle motion and kinematic arrangement of gear shaping and gear hobbing
machines, gear cutting on milling machines.
UNIT – V
Advantages, application and limitation, survey of Non-conventional machining processes, mechanics of metal
removal, tooling, equipment, process parameters and surface finish obtained & specific application of following
processes – EDM, ECM, USM, AJM, EBM and LBM.
Principles, production of conical, cylindrical and parabolic shapes, spinability test, forces in power spinning,
Principle, advantages and disadvantages, types of thread rolling, numerical problems.
1. Manufacturing Technology (Vol. – I & II) – P.N. Rao – Tata McGraw Hill Pub. Company, New Delhi
2. A Text Book of Production Technology(Manufacturing Processes) – P.C. Sharma – S. Chand and Company Ltd., New Delhi
1. Manufacturing Engineering and Technology – S. Kalpakjian & S.R. Schmid – Addision Wesley Longman, New Delhi
2. Tool Engineering & Design – G.R. Nagpal – Khanna Publishers – New Delhi
3. A Text Book of Production Technology – O.P. Khanna – Dhanpat Rai & Sons, New Delhi
4. Manufacturing Science – A. Ghosh & A.K. Mallik – East West Press Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi
5. Production Technology – R.K. Jain – Khanna Publishers, New Delhi