CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (C G)
Semester: V th Branch: Mechanical Engg.
Subject: Machine Design – I
Total Theory Periods: 50 Total Tutorial Periods: 12
Total Marks in End Semester Exam: 80
Minimum number of class tests to be conducted: 2
Note: 1) Design data book by PSG and ISI data sheets are allowed in the examination.
2) The duration of the paper is 4 (four) hours.
UNIT – I
Selection of Materials, Design Stress, Factor of Safety, Stress concentration factor in tension, bending and torsion,
theories of failures.
Notch sensitivity, design stress for variable and repeated loads, fatigue stress concentration factor, endurance
Chain drives, roller chains, geometric relationships, dimensions of chain components polygonal effect, power rating
of roller chains.
UNIT – II
Basic Elements Design
Types of key and design, design of socket-spigot cotter joint, sleeve and cotter joint, gib and Cotter joint, design of
Knuckle joint, design of splines.
Geometry of thread forms, terminology of screw threads and thread standards, specifications of steel bolts, initial
tension, relation between bolt tension and torque, design of statically loaded tension joints, design of bolted joints
due to eccentric loading.
Power screws, Force analysis-square and trapezoidal threads, Collar friction, Stresses in screw, coefficient of
friction, efficiency of thread.
UNIT – IV
Types of rivet heads, types of riveted joints, failure of riveted joint, strength of rivet joint, efficiency of riveted joint,
design of riveted joint for boiler.
Types of welded joints, stresses in butt and fillet welds, strength of welded joints, location and dimension of weld
design, eccentrically loaded joint, welded joint subjected to bending moment, design procedure, fillet welds under
varying loads, stress relieving techniques.
UNIT – V
Shaft and Axles
Transmission shaft, Design against static load, Design for strength, rigidity and stiffness, design under continuous
loading for fatigue.
Types of couplings, design of flange and flexible couplings, compression coupling, muff coupling.
1. Design of Machine Elements from V.B. Bhandari, TMH Publications.
2. Machine Design by Shigley – McGraw Hill Pub.
1. Machine Design – Movnin – MIR Publishers
2. Machine Design – Sharma & Agrawal – Katson publications
3. Principles of Mechanical Design – R. Phelan – McGraw Hill Pub.
4. Machine Design – Suderraj Murthy – Khanna Publishers
5. Machine Design, theory & Practice – J. Michels Walter, E. Wilson Charles – Add MacMilan Publishers, New York.
6. Machine Design – Kulkarni – TMH
7. Machine Design – M. F. S