CSVTU B.E. III Semester Mechanical Engineering MATERIALS SCIENCE Syllabus
CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (CG)
Semester : B.E. III Sem.
Sub : MATERIALS SCIENCE
UNIT – I
Structure of Materials:
Crystalline structure of solid: Concept of unit cell and space lattice, Miller Indices, Crystal structure
determination by X-ray diffraction, Crystal imperfections.
Solidification of Metals and Alloys
Mechanism of solidification, nucleus formation and crystal growth, Metal ingot structure-dendritic and
columnar grains, grain boundaries, grain growth, effect of grain size on properties of metals, polytropic
Elastic and Plastic Deformation:
Material properties like strength, hardness, toughness, ductility, brittleness etc. and their importance in
manufacturing. Quantitative evaluation of these properties with destructive testing methods.
Mechanism of plastic deformation, role of dislocations, slip and twinning. Strain hardening, Seasons
cracking, Baushinger effect, yield point phenomena and related effects, Cold working and Hot working
processes, effect on properties like recovery, recrystallization, grain growth, grain size etc.
Unit – III
Phase and phase equilibrium : solidification of pure metals and alloys, phase diagrams of monotectic
Eutectic, eutectiod, Peritectic and peritectoid & other systems. Allotropy of iron and Fe-C diagram.
Unit – IV
Introduction, purpose of heat treatment, T-T-T curve and micro constituents in steel heat treatment
processes like hardening, tempering, annealing, normalizing, Effects of heat treatment on properties of
materials. Surface treatment processes.
Unit – V
Classification, structure, general properties and applications of Cast Iron, Steel, brass, Bronze, bearing
metals, light metal alloys, sintered carbide.
1. Engineering Physical Metallurgy – Lakhtin – CBS Publishers & Distributors
2. Materials Science- Narang – CBS Publishers & Distributors
1. Elements of Material Science & Engg. – Van Vlack. – Addison – Wesley longman, 6
Edn., New York
2. Physical Metallurgy – Clark & Varney, East West Edn., New Delhi
3. Engineering Materials – Woulf series.
4. Material Science & Engg. – A first course – V. Raghavan – PHI (P) Ltd., Delhi, 2003
5. Physical Metallurgy Principles – Robert E Reed Hill – Affiliated East-West Press Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2004
6. A Text Book of Material Science & Metallurgy – O.P. Khanna – Dhanpat Rai & Sons – New Delhi