Cochin University Previous Papers BE CS 5th Semester
System Programming November 2008
1 Explain the data structures and algorithm of a two pass assembler.
(a) Explain various machine independent assembler features.
(b) Explain the concept of program relocation.
2.(a) What do you mean by absolute loader? Write an algorithm for an absolute loader.
(b) Differentiate between linking loader and linkage editor.
3. (a) With the help of diagrams, explain loading and calling of a subroutine using dynamic linking.
(b) Discuss about Bootstrap loader.
Discuss about the data structures and algorithm of a macro processor.
4. (a) Explain the technique used for the generation of unique labels within a macro expansion with an example.
(b) Explain conditional macro expansion with an example.
(a) Explain shift-reduce parsing with an example.
(b) Explain the role of lexical analyzer in compiler design.
5. (a) What is an activation record? Explain its role in recursive call. (10)
(b) Explain various machine independent code optimization techniques used by the compiler.
6. (a) Explain virtual memory address translation.
(b) Define the following terms
(i) Fragmentation (ii) Process Control Block
7. (a) Explain the various security functions performed by operating system,
(b) What do you mean by CPU Scheduling? Briefly explain any three CPU scheduling algorithms.