Cochin University Previous Papers BE CS 3rd Semester
Principles of Programming Languages Nov 2009
CS305 Principles of Programming Languages
(Answer ALL questions)
1. (a) Discuss various applications of programming languages.
(b) What are the factors affecting readability of a programming language?
(c) Explain the advantages of using named constants in programs.
(d) Explain variable type binding with example.
(e) Explain the significance of dynamic binding in object oriented programming.
(f) Is inheritance possible without encapsulation? Justify you answer.
(g) Explain the data types used in LISP.
(h) Explain the resolution principle of propositions.
2. Define syntax of a programming language. Discuss the formal methods of describing syntax.
3. (a) Briefly explain various programming paradigms.
(b) Give examples for
(i) ambiguous grammar
(ii) syntax graph.
4. (a) Differentiate between scope and lifetime .of a variable.
(b) Explain the design issues for pointers. What is a dangling pointer?
5. With suitable examples, explain various methods of passing parameters to sub programs.
(a) Explain the concept of data hiding with respect of programming languages.
(b) Explain various design issues associated with object oriented languages.
6. Differentiate between
(i) function overloading and function over riding
(ii) constructor and destructor in C++
(iii) errors and exceptions in a program.
7. (a) Write short note on Lamda Calculus.
(b) Explain various applications of functional programming languages.
8. Explain the applications of logic programming.