Anna University Thermoplastic Materials Exam Paper
ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION PAPERS
B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION
IV Semester Polymer Technology
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
1. Name any two monomers used to prepare LLDPE.
2. State any two important applications of chlorinated polyethylene.
3. How is poly (vinyl alcohol) obtained?
4. State the uses of highly plasticized poly (vinyl chloride).
5. State how buna-S rubber is prepared?
6. State why poly (acrylonitrile) cannot be prepared by bulk polymerisation technique?
7. Name the materials required for the preparation of nylon 6,6.
8. Give two examples for transparent plastics.
9. How would you explain the high value of Teflon?
10. State the percentage of nitrate content in cellulose nitrate when it is used as a plastic and as an explosive.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
11. Discuss the manufacture, properties and uses of HDPE and HMWHDPE. (16)
12. (a) (i) Discuss the manufacture of poly (vinlychloride). (8)
(ii) Discuss the applications of poly (vinlylidene chloride) and
poly(vinly acetate) (8)
(b) (i) Discuss the manufacture, properties and uses of polypropylene. (10)
(ii) Compare the properties of LLDPE and LDPE. (6)
13. (a) (i) How is ABS prepared? Compare its properties and uses with that of poly(styrene-co-acrylonitrile). (10)
(ii) Give an account of high impact polystyrene. (6)
(b) (i) Discuss the manufacture, properties and uses of polystyrene. (10)
(ii) Explain how thermocole is manufactured. (6)
14. (a) (i) Discuss the manufacture of polyethlene terephthlate and state how the molecular weight of the polymer controlled during its manufacture? (8)
(ii) How are polycorbonates and polyacetals prepared and what are their uses? (8)
(b) (i) Discuss the manufacture of nylon-6 and nylon-11 and compare their properties and uses. (10)
(ii) Explain the manufacture of polyacrylates used for coating applications. (6)
15. (a) (i) Describe the synthesis of thermoplastic polyurethane and polyurethane staple fibres. (8)
(ii) Describe the manufacture of cellulose acetate and ethyl cellulose. (8)
(b) Write short notes on any TWO of the following :
(i) Cellulose nitrate. (8)
(ii) Fluoropolymers. (8)
(iii) Poly(methylmethacrylate). (8)