ANNA UNIVERSITY, B.E. AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING, VI SEMESTER
PART – A (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
1. Distinguish between orthogonal and oblique cutting.
2. Can diamond-cutting tools be used for machining ferrous materials ? Justify your answer.
3. With suitable sketches, indicate the primary axes of motion for horizontal machining center and turning center.
4. What are the factors influencing the grinding wheel wear?
5. Enumerate the differences between live center and dead center in the context of work holding in a lathe.
6. What are the variables that control the electron beam welding process?
7. How the ultrasonic waves are used to detect the defects in materials?
8. Differentiate between permanent mould casting and sand casting?
9. How are seamless tubes produced?
10. What are the allowances to be considered to estimate the gross weight in closed die forging?
PART – B (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (i) During orthogonal cutting with a 10o rake angle tool, the following
observations were taken. Fc = 100 N, Ft = 300 N, feed = 0.05 mm/rev, chip thickness = 0.16 mm. Determine the coefficient of friction, shear stress, energy required for shearing unit volume of material and specific energy required to overcome the friction.
Assume the depth of cut as 1 mm.
(ii) What are the desirable characteristics of cutting tool materials? Briefly describe them.
12. a) With suitable sketches explain the various attachments used in milling machine.
( OR )
b) Describe principles of a horizontal boring machine with a neat
13. a) Distinguish between arc and gas welding processes from the point of views of heat concentration, temperature, ease of operation and running cost.
( OR )
b) Explain the TIG and MIG welding systems with neat sketches. Enumerate the applications of these processes.
14. a) What is meant by Investment mould? How the Investment moulds are produced? Compare this process with Shell Moulding.
( OR )
b) Describe the various defects found in the components made by Sand castings.
15. a) (i) Explain with sketches the principles of forward and backward extrusion. List the components made by each of these processes.
(ii) Briefly explain the principle of impact extrusion process.
( OR )
b) Write short notes on the following.
(i) Hot and cold forming.
(ii) High velocity forming methods