Anna University Question papers
B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION
IV Semester Chemical Engineering
Time : Three hours
Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
1. List the drawbacks of Cold — working.
2. What is Resilience?
3. Define ‘‘High Speed Steel’’. Give its composition.
4. What are all the advantages of Nitriding?
5. Mention few properties and uses of Tin.
6. List the various types of Composite materials.
7. What are the different types of surface coated material and explain any one of them in brief?
8. What is glass?
9. Write short note on ‘‘Prestressed Concrete’’.
10. Mention few anti-corrosion methods.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
11. Explain the following properties with neat sketches :
(i) Stiffness (ii) Hardness
(iii) Ductility (iv) Brittleness
12. (a) Draw and explain Iron-Carbon equilibrium phase diagram.
(b) With the help of a diagram, explain the working of a ‘‘Cupola’’.
13. (a) Explain the Extraction of Lead by using ‘‘Huntington Heberlein Roasting Process’’ and refining by ‘‘Parkes Process’’ from its natural ore.
(b) Discuss the processing methods of Thermoplastic and thermosetting plastics.
14. (a) Define the following in FRC :
(i) Prepregs (ii) BMC
(iii) SMC (iv) TMC
(b) Write about various forms of glasses and their manufacture.
15. (a) Discuss basic theories, various types of corrosion in detail.
(b) Discuss the factors affecting the selection of materials for engineering purposes.