Anna University Production of Iron Question Paper
ANNA UNIVERSITY QUESTION PAPER
B.E. DEGREE EXAMINATION
IV Semester Metallurgical Engineering
PRODUCTION OF IRON
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
1. Classify iron ores based on their appearance.
2. List down the major iron ore deposits in India.
3. Discuss the functions of coke in a blast furnace.
4. List down the various modes of cooling arrangements used in blast furnace.
5. Name the methods used to hoist the solid charge materials to the furnace top.
6. State Gruner’s theorem.
7. Define channeling.
8. What does slipping mean?
9. What are the uses of sponge iron?
10. What is meant by back–draughting?
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
11. Discuss, in detail, the physical chemistry of processes occurring inside the blast furnace at various locations with a neat sketch. (16)
12. (a) (i) What is meant by beneficiation of iron ores? Also, give a detailed
account on the methods of beneficiation. (10)
(ii) Explain the working principle of disc pelletiser with a neat sketch.
(b) Define coke. List down the properties that determine the value of coke as a blast furnace fuel. Also explain them in detail. (16)
13. (a) Mention the various factors affecting the distribution of burden inside the blast furnace. Explain them in detail. (16)
(b) Define sintering. Explain the principle, process variables and mechanism of sintering. (16)
14. (a) (i) Sketch the temperature, pressure and gas composition profiles in a
blast furnace neatly. Also add a brief note on them. (10)
(ii) Give an account on dust catcher. (6)
(b) Draw the figure of low shaft furnace neatly. Discuss its working principle, parts and advantages, in detail. (16)
15. (a) Write short notes on : (i) HyL process, and (ii) Submerged arc furnace. (16)
(b) (i) Explain the production of ferro–chrome. (8)
(ii) Write a note on iron making in India. (8)