Anna University Previous year Paper – Information Technology – Introduction To It – IInd Semester
B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION.
IF 143 — INTRODUCTION TO IT
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
- What are the basic components of Computer–Based Information Systems?
- Mention any four types of application software.
- Differentiate between a Local Area Network and a Wide Area Network.
- What is the World Wide Web? Differentiate it from the Internet.
- Distinguish between Electronic Data Interchange and e–mail.
- What are the four major knowledge management activities?
- State any two advantages and any two disadvantages of artificial intelligence compared with natural intelligence.
- Enumerate the four phases of customer service life cycle.
- List the objectives of Information System Strategic Plan.
- Define firewalls and state their capabilities.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
- (i) Explain the main components of a Data Base Management System. (6)
(ii) Describe how the three most common data models organize data, and the advantages and disadvantages of each model. (10)
- (a) (i) With a block diagram describe a model of a typical telecommunication system. (8)
(ii) Describe the five models of client/server implementation. List the benefits and limitations of client/server architecture for network processing. (8)
(b) (i) Describe what the Internet is, how it works and how users can connect to it. (8)
(ii) Discuss the various services provided by the Internet. (8)
- (a) (i) Describe an interorganizational information system. List the major types of interorganizational systems. Enumerate the important implementation issues of interorganizational systems. (8)
(ii) Explain the need for integrating functional information systems. Present three approaches to integrating functional systems. (8)
(b) (i) With a suitable diagram explain a conceptual model of a Decision Support System, showing four main software components. (8)
(ii) Describe the process of knowledge discovery, and discuss the role of data mining in this process. (8)
- (a) With a suitable diagram explain the structure and process of Expert Systems. List the ten generic categories of Expert Systems. (16)
(b) (i) List some organizational, societal and consumer benefits of Electronic Commerce (four each). (6)
(ii) List the major technical and non–technical limitations of Electronic Commerce (four each). (4)
(iii) Describe the Electronic Commerce consumer behaviour model. (6)
- (a) Explain in detail the basic steps involved in the traditional systems development life cycle. (16)
(b) Describe the various threats to information security. Explain the various defense mechanisms of information systems. (16)