Anna University Previous Question Papers – Mechanical Engineering – Production Technology – IV Semester
B.E. DEGREE EXAMINATION.
ME 235 — PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
- Name any two moulding sand varieties that are often used in steel foundries.
- What is a core print?
- Define maximum draft in moulding.
- Write the formula for finding out the maximum bending force, P, excluding friction.
- E60XX is the designation for a mild steel–coated electrode. What does ‘E’ stands for?
- Name any two factors that affect the weld zone in friction welding.
- How is the pressure required to form the metal obtained in explosive forming process?
- Which is the source of energy in electro–hydraulic forming process?
- Name at least two common thermoplastics.
- What is called wet plastic extrusion?
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
- (i) Describe the difference between expendable and permanent moulds.
(ii) Give the step–by–step procedure of investment casting and die–casting processes.
- (a) (i) What are the types of deflection that rolls under go? Explain them.
(ii) Explain the stages in forging a connecting rod of an internal combustion engine.
(b) (i) Compare extrusion and drawing processes.
(ii) Discuss the effect of various processing parameters in shearing.
- (a) (i) Show and explain the features of neutral, reducing and oxidizing flames with their respective applications.
(ii) Describe the working of laser beam welding process with its applications. What are the advantages of it over electron beam welding?
(b) (i) What are fusion welding and solid state welding?
(ii) List the factors that contribute to the development of cracks in welds and explain their formation and the preventive measures that are available.
- (a) (i) How does explosive forming process different from other conventional metal forming processes?
(ii) With a schematic illustration explain how a cup shape is obtained using explosive forming process.
(b) (i) What are the advantages and disadvantages of high energy rate forming process?
(ii) What is the basic principle of electro–hydraulic forming process? Explain the working of both capacitor discharge through a gap and a wire processes.
- (a) (i) List the properties of plastics for their wide engineering applications.
(ii) Describe the process of extrusion of plastics using screw type machine.
(b) (i) What are the advantages and disadvantages of Ram type of plastic extrusion machine?
(ii) Compare compression and transfer moulding processes.