Anna University Previous Question Paper – Civil Engineering – II SEM
B.E. DEGREE EXAMINATION.
AG 151 — ENGINEERING GEOLOGY
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
- Describe the internal structure of the earth.
- Give the earthquake belts of India.
- Define isometric system of crystals.
- Give the physical properties of Mica.
- What are metamorphic rocks?
- Define ‘Gneissose structure’.
- What are outcrops?
- Describe electrical resistivity survey.
- What are rotational slides?
- Explain the advantages of remote sensing techniques in geological investigations.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
- Elaborate on the geological conditions required for locating tunnels with neat diagrams.
- (a) Describe the various types of weathering of rocks.
(b) Discuss in detail about the geological work of rivers.
- (a) Elaborate on the various physical properties which are helpful in the identification of minerals.
(b) Explain the physical properties of Feldspar group of minerals.
- (a) What are sedimentary rocks? Explain the properties of any
FOUR sedimentary rocks.
(b) Describe the engineering properties of rocks? Give the engineering properties of important igneous and metamorphic rocks.
- (a) Explain the parts of faults with a neat diagram. Describe the important types of faults with neat diagrams.
(b) What are folds? Explain the types of folds with diagrams and their bearing on the engineering constructions.