Anna University Non Ferrous Extraction Metallurgy Exam Paper
ANNA UNIVERSITY PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPER
B.E. DEGREE EXAMINATION
IV Semester Metallurgical Engineering
NON–FERROUS EXTRACTION METALLURGY
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
1. Mention any two merits and demerits in each of Ellingham diagram.
2. Distinguish between smelting and converting.
3. Pressure leaching is beneficial. How?
4. Indicate the principles of solvent extraction.
5. What is zone refining? Give an example.
6. What is liquation? Give an example.
7. What is blister copper? Name the elements present in it as impurities.
8. Why is halide route preferred for extraction of nuclear reactor metals?
9. What is Parke’s process?
10. What is byproduct in any metallurgical extraction? Give two examples.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
11. (i) Discuss fire refining of copper. (8)
(ii) Explain various factors governing fused salt electrolysis of alumina. (8)
12. (a) (i) Explain Predominance Area Diagram for Ni–S–O system at 1000 K.
(ii) Discuss various steps involved in fluidised bed roasting. (6)
(b) (i) Mention any four advantages of hydrometallurgy and any four properties of a good solvent. (4 + 4)
(ii) What is ion exchange process? Explain its counter current principle. Briefly describe resin poisoning with examples. (2 + 3 + 3)
13. (a) (i) Distinguish between electrowinning and electrorefining (any six
points) indicating suitable examples. (6)
(ii) Discuss, in detail, the principles of zone refining. (10)
(b) (i) Explain the principles of fused salt electrolysis. Why this process is
warranted? (8 + 2)
(ii) With suitable applications, describe fractional distillation process. (6)
14. (a) (i) Furnish a flow sheet for obtaining nickel from its sulphide ore with
relevant process details. (10)
(ii) Discuss Kroll’s process for titanium practised at B.A.R.C., Bombay.
(b) (i) Explain Pidgeon process for Magnesium. (8)
(ii) Furnish a flow sheet for chemical beneficiation of Jaduguda Uranium ore. (8)
15. (a) (i) Explain cyanidation process for gold extraction. (10)
(ii) Write a note on : Silver production in India. (6)
(b) (i) Discuss energy balance in copper smelting. (6)
(ii) Write a note on : Utilisation of metallurgical wastes. (10)