MODEL QUESTION PAPER
B.Arch. Degree Examinations
V – SEMESTER
AR038 – THEORY OF DESIGN
Time : 3 Hours Max. : 100 marks
PART- A (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- What do you understand by the term ‘design’?
- What according to Geoffrey Broadbent comprises the Design Spectrum?
- Do you think design is a problem solving exercise? If so what are the different types of design problems according to you?
- Show how you can state the problem for the design of a chair.
- What do you understand by the term ‘brainstorming’? Do you think it is an effective way to generate creative ideas? If yes, then in what context?
- Differentiate between convergent thinking and divergent thinking.
- Differentiate between rational thinking and empirical thinking.
- In your opinion what do you think is a ‘concept’ for an architectural design problem?
- How can the technique of reversal help in generating interesting insights into the design process?
- What do you think are the differences between design in the pre-industrial era as opposed to design in the post-industrial era?
PART – B (5 x 16 = 80 marks)
- Based on your knowledge of creative design techniques, apply any one or more technique to any one design situation of your choice and show your results.
12.a) Give a brief account of the different ways in which design can be classified.
12.b) What are the different stages in the design process according to design theorists? Give your own opinion regarding this.
13.a) Give a brief account of the history of design and place the Design Methods movements in context / perspective giving reasons for its birth and spread.
13.b) The process of creative thinking and the generation of creative ideas has been the subject of much research. Discuss the various theories associated with it.
14.a) Design as process is an approach put forward as an alternative leading to better design products. Discuss with examples. Explain your own stand regarding this.
14.b) Bring out your understanding of Christopher Alexander’s concept of pattern language. State whether you agree / disagree with this approach and bring out the reasons for your opinion.
15.a) Architects have cited various inspirations for their designs–philosophies, accidental means, rational processes, and so on. Give any five illustrations for this.
15.b) Differentiate between analogy and metaphor. Show these concepts can help in the process of design. Give example from works of architects.