Anna University Model Question Paper BE V sem E&I Industrial Instrumentation – I
MODEL QUESTION PAPER
B.E. Electrical and Electronics Engineering
EI 334 – Industrial Instrumentation – I
Time : 3 Hours Max Marks : 100
PART – A
Answer All Question (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
1. Explain the stroboscopic method of measuring speed.
2. What do you mean by load cell and give the type of it?
3. Write the natural frequency equation for vibration.
4. What are the methods of vibration measurement?
5. Explain the principles of dead weight tester.
6. What are the different units of pressure and what do you mean by force summing device?
7. Define triple point and IPTS.
8. What do you mean by RTD? Give the sources of errors in non-electrical methods for measuring temperature.
9. Give the types of thermocouple and give the need of compensation in thermocouples.
10. Write basic principle of radiation method for measuring high temperature.
PART – B (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11. Explain the operation of thermal conductivity gauges and mention its merits and demerits. (16)
12.a)i) Elucidate the operation of AC and DC tacho generator (8)
ii) Explain the working principal of stroboscope. (8)
12.b)i) Compare between elastic load cell and strain gauge load cell. (6)
ii) Explain the various methods for measuring torque. (10)
13.a) Enumerate the principle of operation of ultrasonic desitometer and compare it with float type. (16)
13.b)i) Explain the principle and operation of LVDT accelerometer. (8)
ii) Seismic instrument as an accelerometer and vibrometer. Justify. (8)
14.a)i) Explain the operation of vapour pressure thermometer. (6)
ii) Explain the sources of errors in filled – in system thermometers and explain its compensation. (10)
14.b)i) Explain the electrical method of measuring temperature using RTD. (6)
ii) How the ‘R’ output from RTD is measured? (10)
15.a) With the neat sketch explain the operation of optical pyrometer. (16)
15.b) Write notes on:
(i) Fabrication of thermocouple (8)
(ii) Laws of thermocouple (4)
(iii) Cold junction compensation (4)