Anna University Model Question Paper BE IV sem CIVIL CONCRETE AND CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY
B.E. DEGREE EXAMINATION.
CE 237 — CONCRETE AND CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL the questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
- What is an admixture?
- State the factors affecting mix design.
- What is grouting?
- State the methods of repairing of concrete works.
- Name the common types of joints provided in stone masonry.
- What are the characteristics of an ideal fire resisting material?
- What are the various types of failures in precast pavements?
- What is shoring?
- What are the precautionary measures to be adopted for laying foundation in black cotton soil?
- State the precautions to be taken before removing the forms.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
- Design a concrete mix by BIS method with the following data :
Characteristic compressive strength
= 35 N/m2
Maximum size of aggregate
= 20 mm (angular)
Fine aggregates confirm to grading zone II
Degree of workability
Degree of quality control
Type of exposure
Specific gravity of cement
Specific gravity of fine aggregate
Water absorption (i) Coarse aggregate
(ii) Fine aggregate
Water cement ratio
Assume any other data if necessary.
Also calculate the quantity of cement, sand, coarse aggregate and water required per cubic metre of concrete.
- (a) (i) What are the important purposes for which admixtures are used?
(ii) List the general classification of concrete chemicals according to their characteristic effects.
(b) (i) What are the two non destructive tests commonly used to assess the compressive strength? Explain any one method.
(ii) Explain the measurement of workability of concrete by compaction factor test.
- (a) (i) Explain with neat sketches the different types of shell roofs.
(ii) Describe the method of damp proofing a basement in an area having high water table.
(b) Describe the various acoustic defects that may be found in an auditorium and suggest remedial measures to set right the same.
- (a) Explain the materials used for repairing the cracking in concrete structures.
(b) Explain the stage of stage and methods of repair works to be carried out for the leaking of overhead water tank. Assume that the staging is in good condition.
- (a) List the various equipments required for a new highway construction project and also explain the working of these equipments. The contract includes following :
(i) Clearing the site.
(ii) Sub grade shaping (involves cut and full of a clayey gravel).
(iii) Excavation : Handling and placement of base layer of material obtained from a near by hill side borrow bit.
(iv) Find shaping of the road cross section prior to paving.
(b) Describe a batching plant with sketch for production of mass concrete work indicating the various equipments required for the plant.