B.E. DEGREE EXAMINATION.
CE 131 — BUILDING SCIENCE — I
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL the questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
- What are artificial stones?
- State the characteristics of good building stones.
- What are intermittent kilns? Give a neat sketch.
- Write down the classification of fire bricks.
- List of various classification of mortar.
- What is ‘Aerated Concrete’ and ‘No fines Concrete’?
- What are the qualities of a good timber?
- What is Thermocole? State its uses.
- State the composition of glass.
- Write a brief note on high quality refractory materials.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
- Describe in detail with sketches the manufacture of bricks.
- (a) Explain with sketches the following test on stones :
(i) Crystrallisation test
(ii) Attrition test
(iii) Crushing test
(iv) Absorption test.
(b) State the crushing strengths of the following stones :
Explain in detail the deterioration of stones and preservation of stone work.
- (a) Briefly discuss the factors which influence the strength of fresh and hardened concrete.
(b) What are the characteristics of aggregates? Describe in detail the various types of aggregates.
- (a) Sketch the various market forms of steel. What is Refining, Puddling, Shingling and Rolling of Pig iron?
(b) State the composition of a paint and explain Pigment Volume Concentration Number. Draw a flow diagram for paint manufacture.
- (a) Explain with sketches the Manufacturing process of glass and give their various commercial forms.
(b) What are composites? Explain with sketches the various types of composites.