Anna University Model Papers – IT – Telecommunication switching techniques
B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION.
IF 251 — TELECOMMUNICATION SWITCHING TECHNIQUES
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
- What are the four fundamental functions of a switching system?
- What do you mean by step by step switching?
- Define Time Switch.
- Draw the schematic of a PSTN and distinguish it from ISDN.
- Draw the architecture of SS N07 protocol.
- Define grade of service.
- Write down the specifications of the TDM frame of a T1 carrier.
- What is the fundamental method for synchronising a transmitter and receiver?
- What are the features of a connection oriented protocol?
- Define Time Division Multiple Access.
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
- With a neat diagram describe a cross bar switching system.
- (a) Describe a digital switching system generic hardware.
(b) Describe a digital switching system software.
- (a) Describe the common channel signalling scheme.
(b) Show that the telephone traffic is modelled as a poisson process.
- (a) Describe FDM transmission system and crosstalk.
(b) Describe a three stage switching network.
- (a) Describe ISO–OSI reference architecture.
(b) Describe a satellite based data network.