Anna University DBMS Model Question Paper
VI SEMESTER, DATA BASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
TIME – 3 Hours MAXIMUM : 100 Marks
PART – A (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
1. Distinguish between specialization and generalization.
How will you represent them in an ER diagram?
2. Give examples of different types of JOIN statement in SQL.
3. What are clustered indexes? What is the maximum number of clustered index allowed on one data file?
4. List the different types of constraints that can be specified in a relational database.
5. Define functional dependency and state the Normal Form based on this.
6. State the desirable properties of a transaction.
7. What are temporal databases? Give an example of a typical application where such databases will be required.
8. Explain inheritance property in OODBMS.
9. Draw a block diagram showing the basic steps in Query Processing.
10. Define: (a) Network transparency
(b) Fragmentation transparency
PART – B (5 ´ 16 = 80 Marks)
11. Explain the 3 schema architecture in DBMS. Highlight the
difference between physical and logical data independence (8)
(ii) Define 3 NF and Boyce-Codd NF. Explain with suitable
12. a) (i) Compare a file based system and an RDBMS system. When will you develop a file based system? (6)
(ii) Construct an ER diagram for a company, which sells and services cars. The company keeps information about customers who purchase one or more cars, the sales person who is responsible for the sale and service details for each car is maintained. (assume minimum of 4 attributes on each entity type) (10)
( OR )
b) (i) With a suitable diagram, explain the overall structure of a database
(ii) Define primary key, super key and candidate key. (4)
(iii) What are inference rules in a functional dependency?
When is a set of FD said to be a minimal set? (6)
13. a) (i) List the operations of the relational algebra and explain with
Suitable example (16)
( OR )
b) (i) Explain the different types of indexes. Which of these indexes
are dense and which are not. (16)
14. a) (i) Discuss why concurrency control is needed in a DBMS? (8)
(ii) Explain any one method by which concurrency is achieved in a
b) (i) Explain with examples the concept Record and SET data structures
in a Network data model (8)
(ii) Explain how a select operation is done in query processing? (8)
15. a) (i) Explain the concept of Object and Object Identity in Object
Oriented data model (6)
(ii) Discuss the features of Distributed database. (5)
(iii) Explain the 2-phase commit protocol for distributed database. (5)
( OR )
b) (i) Describe the association rule and classification rules in
data mining? (8)
(ii) With a schematic diagram explain the architecture and features
a Data warehousing system (8)