ANNA UNIVERSITY, B.E. AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING, VI SEMESTER
TWO AND THREE WHEELERS
PART – A (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
1. Distinguish between Moped and Motor cycle.
2. Justify the need for mixing lubricating oil with petrol, while refilling the fuel tank. Indicate the proportion of lubricating oil.
3. Explain non-symmetrical timing for two stoke petrol engines.
4. Explain the function of rotary valves used in two stroke petrol engines of two wheelers.
5. Why is oil immersed multiple disc clutch preferred for two wheeler applications?
6. What do you understand by cross scavenging in two stoke petrol engines?
7. Distinguish between low and high tension magnets.
8. Briefly explain the advantages of electronic ignition system.
9. Distinguish between spoked wheels and cast wheels
10. Indicate the type of (i) suspension spring (ii) shock absorber used in rear suspension of scooters.
PART – B (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11. Explain in detail the Maintenance schedule for a typical two wheeler for (i) 500 km (ii) 1000 km (iii) 4000 km (iv) 8000 km What are the precautions to be observed while ‘running in’ a
12. a) Sketch the layout of a three wheeler Auto Rickshaw with a rear engine. Name the drive line components from Engine to wheels. Briefly explain the essential features.
( OR )
b) Sketch the Main frame of a typical two wheeler along with the front and rear suspension systems. Name the components and explain their main features.
13. a) With the help of a sketch, explain the working of the gear box and controls in a typical two wheeler.
( OR )
b)(i) Sketch and explain the working of the rear brake and controls In a typical two wheeler.
(ii) Explain the provision for adjustment of brakes and for cooling of brakes.
14. a) Sketch the circuit diagram for the Magneto Ignition System for two wheelers. Explain the function of each component in the system.
( OR )
b) Explain the working of the Battery Coil Ignition System used in Motor cycles with the help of a circuit diagram.
15. a) Considering the Indian Models of two wheelers, discuss the merits and demerits of any two two-wheeler models.
( OR )
b) Write short notes on the following, as applicable to two wheelers:
(i) Panel Meters and Control
(ii) Fuel System
(iii) Kick starter system
(iv) Disc Brakes.