Biotechnology Of Orchids
Biotechnology Of Orchids by Jayaram Reddy
Biotechnology of Orchids attempts to assimilate all the necessary information regarding orchids and plant biotechnology. About 650 research papers and books have been referred and cited in the book and the protocols developed for more than 260 orchid cultivars are reviewed. History, uniqueness, habit, habitat, orchid seed and their germination, distribution, evolutionary status, hybridization, registration of hybrids, taxonomy, methods of cultivation and orchid-mycorrhizal association are discussed to the extent necessary for a scientist. The status of world floriculture industry and India’s position is also explained. The next focus of the book is on plant biotechnology.
Audience of the Book :
|The contents and design of the chapters in the book will meet the needs of students, researchers, trainees, professional scientists, and research scholars as well as to orchid lovers and floriculturists.|
The main features of the book are as follows:
1.Focuses on orchids and biotechnology, and explains the status of world floriculture industry.
2.Reviews more than 260 cultivars of orchids.
3.Carries original work on micro-propagation of 4 prominent species.
4.Well illustrated text with pictures and diagrams, many of which are in color.
5.Includes tabulated data from original experiments, and diagrams of some of the endangered orchids.
Table of Contents:
1. Orchids and Floriculture
2. Mycorrhizal Association in Orchids
3. Introduction to Biotechnology
4. Genetically Engineered and Modified Plants
6. Application of Biotechnology in Horticulture Cell and Protoplast Culture and Somatic Hybridization
7. Biotransformation of Orchids
8. Protoplast Isolation, Fusion and Culture in Orchids
9. Cytological Techniques
10. Micropropagation of Orchids
11. Protocols for the In Vitro Propagation of Some Orchid Hybrids