A computer system is just a dead piece of hardware without an operating system. If hardware forms the body of a computer, operating system forms its soul. So, the study of the operating system is very important due to wide variety of scope in the designing foundation and the tools of the operating system that are used in many software applications.
It is indeed a matter of great encouragement to write the Third Edition of this book on ‘Operating Systems – A Practical Approach’ which covers the syllabi of B.Tech./B.E. (CSE/IT), M.Tech./M.E. (CSE/IT), BCA/MCA of many universities of India like Delhi University, GGSIPU Delhi, UPTU Lucknow, WBUT, RGPV, MDU, etc.
The main features of the book are as follows:
1. More conceptual short questions with answers have been added.
2. Semaphores have been explored.
3. Symbian OS has been added.
4. Recent questions and question papers of different universities have been added.
|Table of Contents:|
1. Introduction to Operating Systems
2. Memory Management
3. Virtual Memory
5. CPU SCHEDULING
6. Process Synchronisation
8. Device Management
9. Secondary Storage Structure
10. Information Management
11. Assembly Language Programming Overview
13. Symbain OS – A Case Study
14. Case Study on UNIX